Florence Mbangowah – Elder
Help by Phone Food Pantry
The Help-by-Phone Food Pantry served 10 families and 43 people in the month of December.
From time-to-time the Help-by-Phone suppliers are not able to provide all the staples needed to give Help-By-Phone clients enough to hold them over.
We really need Spaghetti Sauce, Pancake Syrup, and Bread to “make ends meet” in the coming month. Thank you for your generosity in supplying these much needed items to the Help-By-Phone pantry. Baskets will be in the Narthex to receive your contributions.
Prince George’s House
We serve dinner at Prince George’s House on 4th Tuesdays every month at 6:00 pm. Please contact Florence Mbangowah, if you can help prepare a dish and serve. Remember, that youth are welcomed to come, and serve dinner at Prince George’s House, and will be given credit for community service hours. Please see Florence Mbangowah, if you are a youth and would like to serve at PG House. You need to have transportation to PG House. Dinner is served at 6:00 pm on each and every fourth Tuesday of the month.
Miriam Sanders will be helping to prepare and serve the meals on Tuesday, April 25th.
The Mission Committee
The Mission Committee leads the congregation in the work of spreading God’s love beyond the walls of the church. It strives to reach out to people in need in the immediate community and around the world. The Book of Order states the following as a responsibility of Session: planning and leading ministries of social healing and reconciliation in the community in accordance with the prophetic witness of Jesus Christ G-3.0201.The Committee educates and encourages the congregation to participate in the worldwide mission of Christ through prayer, talent, time, and money. The committee partners with other churches, community groups and the General Assembly Mission Council to extend its reach.
The Mission Committee has the following duties and responsibilities:
- To encourage the joyful participation of the congregation in the Christ affirming work of mission and hunger relief.
- To reach out to the congregation using such means as minute for mission, time with children, monthly newsletter articles, bulletin boards, Sunday bulletin inserts, and personal appeals.
- To administer and operate the daily on-site Help-By-Phone food pantry. To appoint a pantry coordinator as required by the Help-By-Phone network. The coordinator will insure that the pantry is staffed daily, that food supplies are obtained from Help-By-Phone and supplemented as needed. They will keep accurate records of expenditures and submit required monthly reports. The privacy of pantry clients will be guarded. To encourage the congregation to donate bread for the pantry on Communion Sunday and canned soup on Souperbowl Sunday.
- To minister monthly to the men at Prince George’s House with prayer, fellowship and dinner.
- To create and carry out opportunities for service such as Thanksgiving Baskets for needy families, adopting a Christmas family, collecting disaster relief supplies, providing school supplies for local children, sponsoring needy children abroad through an international organization, and contributing to international hunger programs such as the Moringa Tree Project.
- To appeal to the congregation for special denominational offerings such as One Great Hour of Sharing and the Christmas Joy Offering.
- To develop and plan for the mission needs in the budget.